Hornchurch is a London Underground station on Station Lane in the southern part of the Hornchurch neighbourhood of the London Borough of Havering in northeast London, England. The station is on the District line and in London fare zone 6. The station was originally opened on 1 May 1885 by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway on a new direct route from Fenchurch Street to Southend that avoided Tilbury. The station was completely rebuilt in 1932 by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and an additional pair of platforms were constructed to serve the electric District Railway local service which was extended from Barking to Upminster. The Fenchurch Street–Southend service was withdrawn from Hornchurch and the original platforms have been abandoned since 1962.